Ever tried Bulgar Wheat? The great thing about is that it’s great value and super nutritious. Bulgar (also spelt bulgur, bulghur, burghul) is high in fiber and rich in B vitamins, iron, phosphorus and manganese.
Minted Bulgar Wheat Salad or Taboulleh
To serve 2 person (225 kcal per person)
Preparation time; Less than 10 mins
Cooking time; Less than 15 mins
- 100g bulgur wheat (once cooked makes approx 360g) – 285 kcal
- 250ml very hot vegetable stock – 20 kcal
- 75g of cucumber, finely diced – 8 kcal
- 20g (approx 4) spring onions, finely chopped – 5 kcal
- 60 g tomatoes, finely chopped – 12 kcal
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil – 120 kcal
- Lemon juice to taste – as mush or as little as you prefer
- Approximately 10g mint leaves, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl and pour over the hot stock. Stir, cover with cling film and let the bulgur wheat cool down and absorb the liquid for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can follow the cooking instructions on the packet then leave to cool.
- Then stir the remaining salad ingredients into the bulgur wheat and the salad is ready.
Presto – quick, simple and delicious!Try it with a grilled chicken breast and some home made tzatziki (Another quick, easy & low calorie delight– just chop some cucumber and mint & mix with low fat natural yoghurt)!
For a more traditional version of this dish add tons more parsley!